BE A PART
OF THE APPRENTICESHIP EXPERIENCE
Dream International Beauty Academy offers two certificate programs: Barbering Apprenticeship and Cosmetology Apprenticeship. Upon successful completion of our programs, apprentices will be prepared to take the California Board of Barbering and Cosmetology exam to become licensed barbers and cosmetologists.
WHAT IS APPRENTICESHIP?
Dream International Beauty Academy is a paid work-while-you-learn apprenticeship dedicated to educating students in the barbering and cosmetology industry. Within the apprenticeship experience, apprentices learn entrepreneurial skills, employment readiness, conflict resolution, and leadership within their communities. DIBA defines itself as a scientific and artistic approach to hair design which measures at 90% accuracy of the apprentice’s ability to retain.
The length of the apprenticeship is 18-24 months. At the end of the program, apprentices will have an established clientele.
HOW DOES APPRENTICESHIP WORK?
There are 3 steps to completing the DIBA Apprenticeship program.
1. Complete the Pre-Apprentice Training, Safety and Sanitation courses with an 80% or better.
2. Graduate into DIBA’s Apprenticeship program.
3. The application is submitted to the California Board of Barbering and Cosmetology and the Division of Apprenticeship Standards (DAS) for approval.
4. After approval, the apprentice’s license is mailed to the authorized salon or barbershop, giving the apprentice the right to work with pay. This process can take 30-45 business days.
Work with pay in a barbershop or salon: 3,200 hours
Work under the supervision of a licensed barber or cosmetologist (a mentor)
Learn practical, hands-on training with clients
32-40 hours per week
Learn in class:
Minimum State Required (RSI)
214 hours of theory (Barbering)
240 hours of theory (Cosmetology)
Related Supplement Training (RSI): 740 hours - Classroom
Required for all DIBA apprentices
Required hours are set above state board and federal requirements to ensure apprentices receive all required training and are well-prepared for the state board review
Work with mannequins
The curricula used are Milady Standard Cosmetology, Milady Standard Barbering, Milady’s MindTap® for barbers and cosmetologists, and Milady’s Studio Luma®: Scenarios for Salon-Ready Professionals.
1. Graduate from the Apprenticeship program after all requirements have been met and earn a certificate of completion.
2. Take the state board exam through BreEZe, the California Board of Barbering and Cosmetology’s online system. The Board provides examination results the same day the exam is taken.
DIBA can assist newly-licensed barbers and cosmetologists with finding employment. However, employment is not guaranteed through DIBA’s services. All newly-licensed barbers and cosmetologists are ultimately responsible for securing their careers.